AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wait just a minute Mr. Illff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

barren
Posted 4/14/2009 06:49 (#679736 - in reply to #679013)
Subject: Re: Wait just a minute Mr. Illff

Glasgow, Ky

FC.....excellent objective analysis.  IF we work under the assumption that farming is a business then it needs to be treated as such.  Decisions need to be made based on sound business principles.  

If someone can pay more rent or pay more for a piece of land that is the American way.  It is each persons right to operate in that manner.  I would say that each of us, at one time or another, has outbid a smaller operator on a tract of land.  Did we feel like we should have let the smaller operator have it because he is smaller or has possibly been farming it for a few years?  Apparently not.  Only problem now is the shoe is on the other foot.  

Regarding ILFF or any other BTO.  When Wal Mart started their expansion there was much public outrage about Wal Mart running the smaller family stores out of business.  People were outraged but not enough to keep Wal Mart from becoming the #1 retailer.  Competition is the basis for business.  If you think it is not so just get into some other line of work and see if you have any competition.  Why do some feel like farming is a sacred cow when it comes to competition?  

I am not a proponent nor opponent of BTO's.  I just try to respect each persons right to operate as they see fit and focus on my own farming operation.  Life is not fair and the sooner we learn this, the better.      

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)