AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wait just a minute Mr. Illff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MNRyeGrower
Posted 4/15/2009 13:05 (#681261 - in reply to #678924)
Subject: Gosh, what a topic!!

Central MN
In my area I see some of this as well but certainly not to the extent others seem to be in more lucrative cropping areas.

Still, I feel compelled to comment. It seems things boil down to a difference in regard to pure economics vs moral concepts. I believe this is something America has wrestled with for a very long time. At some point, what at first seemed to simply be a moral question becomes one regarding anti-competitive activity. There are anti-trust laws to address this subject. Once the "moral" side of things is overshadowed by the economic aspect suddenly having a negative impact on consumers, anti-trust issues come to light.

Possibly qualifying what these operations are doing as "anti-trust" violations may be a streatch. But, if one were to have a crystal ball and see what might happen if it escalates and only very large operations exist who have a hold on available land, it may be quite different.

So, the question is, when does this activity that is currently percieved to be morally in question become bad for the general public from an economic standpoint as well? My guess is when it gets to that point, it will be too late to do anything about it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)