AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wait just a minute Mr. Illff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MNRyeGrower
Posted 4/15/2009 21:39 (#681768 - in reply to #681582)
Subject: Re: Wait just a minute Mr. Illff

Central MN
Possibly qualifying what these operations are doing as "anti-trust" violations may be a streatch....

I know its a streatch and probably not a good analogy. But here is kinda where I was going on this. At the moment it really does not fit a true monopoly situation. But it does have some similar charactoristics. The larger operations can indeed offer more because they can spread the lower return due to higher rent accross more acres. My thoughts on this take it a step further. What happens if/when they are succesfull enough that there no longer are enough competing farmers in the area to justify the higher rents. Supply / Demand rules would say that now the rent will go down. Mainly due because these entities pushed the comptition out of business.

Certainly a streatch and I would be amazed if I see anything regarding legal action in my lifetime over such a thing. And I'm not sure if I would really want to anyway as it would also be another law controlling how people do business.

I guess it is somewhat of a case in point regarding a qoute from one of the forefathers of this nation that I will have to paraphrase in regard to the fact that a democracy will work only with a moral and just citizenry.

My primary goal in making comments is it seems the line is never very clear between what is considered moral and ethical vs what is criminal.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)