AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wait just a minute Mr. Illff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rollig
Posted 4/14/2009 14:44 (#680162 - in reply to #678924)
Subject: Re: Wait just a minute Mr. Illff

SCMN
Whether it's wrong or right to become a "Megafarm" I don't like it and that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I don't wish ill will on these people but I think that if you need to farm 40,000 acres to make a living you need to take a serious look at what the effects of this path are. Here's what I don't get, if all they do is rent land where are they building equity? Do they own machinery or just lease it? Either way that's no way to really build equity. Do they own their huge grain set up that they have constructed over the past few years? I would rather farm 1000 acres and own 500 then farm 40,000 acres and own none. We have a guy in our area that operates on the same principle, economy of scale. I don't care for them, not necessarily due to their size, more so by the way they deal and their ego. He's around 25,000 acres last I heard. He doesn't really own any ground to speak of. Why would you want to run like that? What do you leave to your kids some day? The chance to manage an operation that no doubt takes a toll on a person in many ways. I would rather leave my kids a nice sized farm that they can make a living on and own enough land to retire on the rent they get from their children some day. That's more my definition of a family farm.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)