AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wait just a minute Mr. Illff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

billonthefarm
Posted 4/14/2009 07:54 (#679773 - in reply to #679696)
Subject: RE: In answer to braunt01

Farmington IL
7150 - 4/14/2009 02:11

In my grandfather's day, an ethical farmer did not covet his neighbor's farm nor actively pursue any strategy that would rent another farmer's land before that neighbor retired. Several of you fellas want to pretend that this is just good business, but in fact, is leading you happily towards the lifestyle most of us like to think we avoid out here in the rural areas.

Like many of you claim, I have other farmers I look up to and respect, but the operations that farm on the edge by paying rents 25 to 30% higher (or more) than the majority do not impress me as I watch their candle seemingly burn brightly for a time. Some of them are more lucky than skillful and make it through to some form of retirement. Often, they do not, but even when they succeed, they have set the stage at a wreckless level the rest of us must follow if we wish to expand when the opportunity does present itself. It's hard to back up because the "best" failed.

Thankfully, there are many landowners wise enough to see these operations for what they are and choose to ignore their "honest business proposals" of higher rents.

To offer one of my fellow neighbor's landlord an additional $25 or $50 or $100 per acre "just because I'm successful at it" would be unconscionable to me. I wish it was for all farmers.

You may jump all over me for my opinion, but this is how my ethics work, even for a neighbor I don't like.

Nicely said!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)