AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wait just a minute Mr. Illff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Lookingglass
Posted 4/13/2009 23:09 (#679487 - in reply to #679431)
Subject: RE: Wait just a minute Mr. Illff

Southwest Illinois
I have refrained from responding to this crazy thread, but I must say competition is different wherever you go. Kansas, Illinois, Ohio, Minnesota....wherever. Even within those areas competition is different. I live within 90 miles of this outfit and they are no competition to me. The past 15 years developers and 1031 money has been the competition in our area. A much higher percentage of land in my area is owned by the farmer than where many of these large operations do business. Biting off 10,000+ per acre to buy a farm is much scarier than commiting to high rent over a couple years. While it has created a lot of wealth for those owning land, it has some financial stress along with it. I'm probably dating myself, but I recall in the 70's when all these guys went crazy and in our area we had some very big farmers for the day. Guess how many are left? Maybe 1/3rd of them at the most. That doesn't mean they don't work. So while I'd agree with you that I'm sure you have some very large operators in your area(iwould expect Kansas would have a lot opf these 20-50K acre farms) and maybe have similar competition, I don't think you can truly appreciate or understand a farming area unless you have lived there. We all have opportunities and challenges in our areas, they just look a bit different from place to place.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)