AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working for free
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Hoosierheartland
Posted 1/9/2019 20:09 (#7233323 - in reply to #7231714)
Subject: RE: Working for free

I really appreciate hearing your side of the story. It really sounds quite similar to ours as dad has been updating some equipment the last few years, and if it all works out like he says it’s going to, its an extremely generous gesture. My problem at its core is a little different than your sons at its base though. As I said in the post, we make a good living. I dont not put food on the table because of the farm. If I start taking multiple days off work he will usually offer to give me a little bit to supplement if he knows I’m tight, but usually will only do that when he forces my hand at taking time off work, not when I take off so we can get stuff done the way it should be. I shouldn’t have said he never pays me. It’s just really really rare. And usually it’s 20 questions and an argument to end up getting paid. None of that is truly where my problem with the situation lies. My situation, as I’m guessing your sons is, putting in all this work, for a promise that has only been talked about, and no income in the mean time, does not send us the right message. I would much rather become a partner with stake in the business than receive a paycheck. It sounds like your son just really needs a paycheck, and I can respect that the way things are right now in this farm economy it would be tough to give him much of one. But if he’s proved his worth to you, you could be bringing him in the business pieces at a time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)