AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working for free
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

two-twenty
Posted 1/10/2019 09:32 (#7234538 - in reply to #7233323)
Subject: RE: Working for free

NEIA
I had posted earlier and said to walk. If you don't like what you're doing or what you're seeing that is the simple answer. But if you have a desire to farm I have another option for you. You have not stated how old your dad is. But I am assuming he is a ways away from the grave since he still takes vacations and has a full-time job. You are only 26. You are young and still building credibility in the farm community and with your dad. So here is my second option. Can you go out and try to rent another Farm on your own? I know it's more work but could you rent something or purchase with a young farmer loan and possibly a missing piece of Machinery that your dad doesn't have that can be incorporated into everyone's operation. And then bring your dad's equipment into your rented or purchase land for labor reimbursement? Just make sure you don't tie yourself to him financially so that way you can always take option number one and walk. Build your farming career from that and not counting on your family inheritance. You say you have siblings so don't count on getting the family farm at any discounts. Once you build in to YOUR farming operation on your own BUT with your dad's help you can start talking to your dad about Farm transition. My dad was a Dandy and still is. I too never thought I was compensated enough for working for my dad years ago and still believe that today. But the one thing both of us didn't know at the time was he was giving me an opportunity. Not the best opportunity but it was there. Just make sure he doesn't run you over. Sounds like it could be the same for you.

Edited by two-twenty 1/10/2019 09:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)