AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working for free
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

sonic
Posted 1/8/2019 06:24 (#7228818 - in reply to #7227611)
Subject: RE: Working for free

Roundup987 - 1/8/2019 05:06

For the last 25 years, I've bought all the machinery, paid for all repairs - even on my dad's equipment (figured I should pay for repairs since I was using it.) He still farms but hasn't invested any money into the operation for the past 25 years. I have tried asking him about his will many times. All I ever get is "I might change my mind"  I own 99% of the equipment by now. I used to pay rent for machinery when I started, but now that I own everything, I have never been compensated for him using my equipment and my time.

I'm the only one that stayed home and farmed. I believe in the end my siblings will get everything. I am fortunate enough I have managed to purchase enough of my own land that I still could survive without his ground, but it's very frustrating to deal with him. It's hard to get some of these fathers to commit to answers. Like I said, I'm fortunate enough that I acquired enough ground and equipment to survive, but my father is impossible to deal with when the will comes up in conversation. I think that is why he won't tell me anything, because he has left everything to my siblings.

There is a lot more to our background, but the things I have had to put up with are very frustrating. Even to this day he can't remember my birthday, and he sent out a Christmas letter this year that named my siblings, but some how in this letter I'm the other son that is doing the farming... no name mentioned. Who am I too him then, just a unnamed person doing his work.

Sorry for the rant. You are going to have to decide if you want to farm, how much....BLANK... you want to put up with, and if you think you can eventually pull your operation away from him in the end. It would be nice if they would put down a plan on paper. Ask him out right if he is willing to do so, if not, this is when you have to decide your plan. I hung on because I thought I had enough chance to get where I'm am today to survive with out him. I like what I do, I will miss him someday, I have much better days when he is on vacation,and I hope and pray I will never treat my kids the way I was treated.  last paragraph is YOUR answer.  Your parents should give everything to charity, solve a lot of bad feelings.

I wish you luck.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)