AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working for free
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

inotill
Posted 1/7/2019 20:09 (#7228088 - in reply to #7227836)
Subject: RE: You can work for free and hope that your old man keeps his word and give you

Harlan, KY
Sodbustr - 1/7/2019 19:11

At some point keeping the land in the family isn't up to the generation willing to take it over.

It is up to the generation not willing to let it go or not willing to take steps to keep it in the family, and that doesn't have to mean just gifting it either......

I have spent years analyzing every single thing I have done right, and every single thing I have done wrong. The wrong stuff I have thought about 100x. If only I had done this, if only I had done that. All to keep land in the family name. Thing is if the family up the ladder doesn't take even a modest step to attempt to keep it in the family it can be hard to do. Takes most a lifetime to pay for land, but many expect you to write a check for full retail with 30-60 days notice. I have had that happen. Beat myself up for it pretty bad. I should have been in a stronger position, which is very true. But a couple minor things can hand things down a generation pretty easy.

Most see a farm as dollars and cents. I am one of the unfortunate ones that see's it different. I don't care what its worth, I don't care what it costs. It is a part of who I am.

I used to somewhat farm with my father. Didn't mix money and no mixed ownership of equipment, but best thing I ever did was to pull the pin with working together. It was a little rough for 6 months or better, but after that we have gotten along better and better as time goes on. I don't think it always works out that way for everybody, but in my case my Dad and I have a better relationship steering our own ships.

I would tell you to tell Dad to rent it out. Then rent it from him. If he isn't willing to do that I think it makes things pretty clear. Remember your dad has to want to keep it in the family also...….

Good advice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)