AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working for free
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Brown Cow
Posted 1/7/2019 21:51 (#7228456 - in reply to #7227611)
Subject: RE: Working for free

SW Wisconsin
Not sure how qualified I am to offer advice here, I’ll tell you my situation:

My dad is a hard person to work with, but doesn’t care about the farm, and it doesn’t sound like he’s as hard as your dad. I have 9 younger siblings, probably 2-3 of whom would possibly be interested in the farm. After my mom left my dad’s liability to asset ratio was probably running between 95-105%, so we figured it was pretty much a fair swap that I take over the farm and associated liabilities. My one brother was (and still is, I think) slightly sore about it, but at the end of the day everyone, brother included, realizes that he didn’t have a viable plan for keeping the farm afloat and I didn’t get a windfall by getting the farm.

Now for advice that I may or may not be qualified to offer: talk to him about estate taxes. It’s my understanding that if you inherit the farm outright on his death you stand to pay quite a bit in estate taxes. If he transfers ownership to you gradually then not only are you protected from estate taxes, but the farm is (probably, I’m not a lawyer) at least partially safe from nursing home/Medicaid seizure. Take as much pay as possible in the form of a gift (last I checked the limit for a non-taxable personal gift was $10,000/person/year, so he could give you and your wife $20,000/year), again to avoid payroll taxes. For my two cents I would have to guess that if he’s unwilling to give you in-kind wages in the form of part ownership then he probably has no intention of actually letting you inherit the farm.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)