AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pics: What to do: Landlord cows in corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KevinM
Posted 11/24/2012 13:45 (#2714285 - in reply to #2714128)
Subject: RE: How does that work?

SE IL

Gerald J. - 11/24/2012 10:49 In corn states like Iowa its state law that farm leases even if written with a specific time period are automatically renewed unless the landlord serves notice by a given date, in Iowa September 1, IIRC. The theory is that gives the tenant time to plan ahead and do traditional fall tillage knowing he has the land again even before harvest. Such renewal is not usually part of the standard contract, though its possible to have a different date and renewal conditions as part of the contract that would control despite the state law. When I rented out my farm I wrote a 3 year contract to give the tenant stability as he transitioned it from no till to strip till corn on corn. Then before the September 1 deadline I dropped in and discussed changes, and then we renewed over a hand shake though by Iowa law that formal renewal wasn't required. I think it makes for better land lord tenant relations to communicate. In your case were I the tenant, one thing I'm sure of is that I wouldn't bother with that pivot or that land next year. I'd have preferred the rent be on crop share, then if the landlord's cows at the crop he gets nothing. My farm lease is on crop share and I think I and the tenant come out better in the long run. I get involvement selling the crop and the tenant doesn't pay me more than his income in bad years. Gerald J.

Please tell me how you are going to determine whose share of the crop the cows ate. And for that matter how much total.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)