AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pics: What to do: Landlord cows in corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jonas grumby
Posted 11/23/2012 12:14 (#2712426 - in reply to #2712395)
Subject: Re: pics: What to do: Landlord cows in corn

Northern Illinois
"Instead of attacking your message, if I were your neighbor & my cattle got in your corn field, and I called you about it but did nothing about it, what would your reaction be?" but here we do not know if the landlord did anything or not because the tenent did not go there for 4 days and we are only hearing one side of the story. For all any of us know the landlord could have hired that guy with the horse and dog to come and attempt to get the cattle out but realized he was just doing more damage to the corn by spocking the cattle. That is unlikely but we simply do not know. What we do know is that the landlord did call and say bring the combine which one could interput to mean he was/is unable to get the cattle out.

"Limiting his loss tho, would still come down to telling the cow owner to get his cows out of my corn, or it will cost you." but there is nothing in the original post to indicate that this was done. As far as we know the tenent did nothing.

Of course it is the landlords responsibility that the cattle got out in the first place. All I have ever said is that when someone is notified of a situation they have a legal responsibility to limit any damages after that. It does not appear to me that the tenent fulfilled his responsibility to limit the damages nor does it appear that he was overly concerned about the situation. As far as who is responsible for what part of the damages I am sure a third party will need to do that.

What I would have done is what I believe most of us would have done is got in my truck and drove over to the field in question. If it did not appear that there was an effort to get the cattle out I would have attempted to get the cattle out. If that did not work which I believe would not work because it is difficult to get cattle out of cornfields. I then would have taken my combine over and started harvest. Don't know where the OP is from but around here if the corn was 14% on the day of harvest it would have been dry enough to harvest when first called. At a minimum I would have followed up the original phone call with a call back in a very short period of time to see if the cattle were out of my field.

I have never said it was not the landlord responsibility. All I have ever said is that it does not appear that the tenent took the situation as seriously as I believe a normal tenent would have and is now trying to solve a situation after the fact when things could have been done much sooner that would have lessened the damages.

You ask me what I would have done so let me ask you what would you have done if someone called you and told you cattle were in your field and you need to bring your combine.

Edited by jonas grumby 11/23/2012 13:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)