AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pics: What to do: Landlord cows in corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

PeteMN
Posted 11/23/2012 13:42 (#2712532 - in reply to #2711972)
Subject: Re: pics: What to do: Landlord cows in corn

E.Central MN
I wouldn't touch his cows, let alone try to steal them and sell them at the sales barn because that is what you would be charged with, its theft. Your rent contract doesn't give you any claim to his cattle. I'd be tempted to honk the horn to send them down the road a few miles but that would just give the problem to someone else. You probably should have called the sheriff when the cattle kept getting out to get it documented so you could go after the land owner for damages. The sheriff would have advised the cattle owner what his liability would be if someone was injured or killed by running into a cow on the road after the owner had been notified to keep them fenced in. That might have reduced the damages. The next step would be to take your contract to a lawyer and ask his opinion. I wouldn't withhold payment without some type of legal notification to the land owner on why you're not making full payment. It will probably cost you more than you recover, but you have an advantage if you do it while you still have possession of the rent money. Better have everything documented or else forget it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)