AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with dad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

pupdaddy12003
Posted 9/28/2018 22:30 (#7015004 - in reply to #7014025)
Subject: RE: Farming with dad.

NW Central Ohio
...the way I see it...you've got 3 choices. Shoot your dad....shoot yourself....or leave. It's a perfect time to tell your dad you're leaving. Give him 3 months notice...and start advertising your machinery. As of the first of the year, he'll be on his own...and you can be looking for work this fall until you finish up. There are thousands of jobs out there right now...employers are begging for employees. You don't need to ruin your health and life over his issues. Trying to save a farm for your kids is ridiculous....you have no idea at their age if they will ever want to spend a second in a tractor. You just need to make a decision...and because of your depression you can't do it. My dad was going to retire at 65...and I made him stick to it. He didn't really walk away...he just got to take it a lot easier because I was doing all the "long hours" work. I was fully prepared to walk.....I even spent a few afternoons talking to my dead relatives in the cemetery telling them I was sorry, but if he didn't stick to his word...I wasn't going to stay. It may not have affected them much....but it made me "hear" myself say the words. You aren't going to change a 74 year old man who you've allowed to push you into a corner. When I was 35...my dad (60) told me to do something I knew wasn't going to go well...and I refused. He then decided I needed a kick in the seat of the pants. He looked kind of funny dancing around the shop when I grabbed his foot and told him he probably shouldn't ever try doing that again. If you don't stand up to him...and make it perfectly clear he's losing a son if he doesn't walk away....then it's your fault you're miserable. Not his.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)