AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with dad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Tiler
Posted 9/30/2018 09:38 (#7017266 - in reply to #7014025)
Subject: Schmitty

SCIA
If you remember, my other post seemed to end in the middle of a thought: Some operations........ Well, my thoughts about this needed some time to be refined a bit.

So, now I will continue. Two things; 1. How is the financial side of the doing with the price down turn? Financial problems will make these personality trait worse. 2. And we went through this with FIL, dementia/Alzheimers make this type of personal traits almost unbearable. I was the mean SIL who took away his keys and said "no more driving", only after he was stopped twice, on the way home from Texas, for "drunk driving" because of the effect of ALzheimers on his cognitive functions.

I farmed with my Dad for many years. Worked for him for hourly wage from 13-23, with a two year hiatus for military duty, Am glad for the hiatus, as it showed me, a smart a$$ 19 year old, that if the guy in charge said, " move this pile of sand over there and when it was done, you were told to move it back" you just said " yes Sarge" and did as you were told.

At 23, I asked Dad if I could rent a new farm that came up for rent and did. Over the next 12 years we slowly worked up to a limited partnership, with me as a junior partner. Then, as we farmed half way between Chicago and Rockford IL, and the large developers moved into where we farmed, we decided, mom, dad, wife and I, if we, wife and I, were to stay in production ag, we needed to move to some where farming was not going to be extinct in ten years. M&D stayed there, as they were in their early 70's and we moved 500 miles away, into an area that will remain in AG for a long time.

At that time, we split the partnership and each went their own way. M&D stayed farming until Dad was 77, then moved to town because of development leaving them no more land to rent. Dad had a debilitating heart attack and stroke shortly after that. In the intervening time, he wrote a letter to his kids. In this letter was this statement" When Tom and Dawn left, Moser farms came to a screeching halt." That was, in the twenty some years I worked for and with him, that he EVER acknowledged or said any thing positive about or to me about any contribution that was made by my wife and I to the operation.

Why did I say this? To say that most men are PI$$ poor communicators. ME included.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)