AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with dad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 10/2/2018 04:33 (#7020654 - in reply to #7020596)
Subject: RE: Farming with dad.

Well, with this more thorough explanation, and re-reading your original post, it’s somewhat becoming more clear the breadth and scope of the operation. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Dad is retired and moved to town. You say you came back to manage, so manage. Just so happens you have a difficult extra situation to deal with every day. Does Dad help do anything? The solution to your situation simply takes some money to accomplish. You need to buy an acreage of your own, and build another shop there if you absolutely can’t live without your shop. Problem is, everywhere you spend your time, your standing on his property. Get your own property, and if he comes on it saying things you don’t want to hear, you can tell him to leave. You can then lay down ground rules to him by simply conveying the message that when he enters your home base, he’s welcome anytime, if he has a positive message. Tell him before he enters your driveway, everytime he needs to stop and think about what he is there for and what he is going to say. And if it’s something he wouldn’t want to hear if the rolls were reversed, simply drive on by and wave. Build a grain handling facility on your new acreage. Use the other bins on his property for bean storage. Use your shop for equipment storage. You just need to spend as little time in his driveway that he owns as possible. This way he also won’t be able to interfere nearly as much with your employee. And when you are on his property, treat him with respect, just like you want him to treat you when he’s standing in your driveway. Your Dad is a herd bull. When you enter his pasture, like it or not the cows are his harem. Do you have a written lease? If so, you need to put some language in the lease that gives you some rights as to quiet enjoyment of the property. Have him read it, and if he doesn’t understand what you mean by quiet enjoyment, you calmly explain your expectations of what would be usual and customary landlord/tenant relationship, and anything beyond that on his part is a violation of the terms, and you could then ask him to leave. Sorry to say, but I don’t see much else you can do. If he doesn’t agree to your terms of the lease, walk away. Other ground you rent to replace his acres doesn’t come with wages built in for the landlord. First and foremost, you need to get your mindset where it needs to be. I always tell people that these are simply situations. A problem is stage four cancer. You recognize now it wasn’t smart to put your money into infrastructure on property you have no control over. The solution to cure the vast majority of what’s bothering is just gonna take some more money. And it’s the right thing to do. Build up your own base of operations. Then you have nothing to complain about. What I have laid out are not unreasonable terms whatsoever. Anything more draconian, you are being unreasonable. And if Dad doesn’t agree to the new terms, he’s being unreasonable. Good luck, and first and foremost hold your head up high. Work hard on changing your mindset. You have to get a handle on that. Reaching tipping points usually have bad outcomes. Feel free shoot me an email, I’d be glad to talk to you, if you think it would help. I’m a Dad, and I’m a son. A product of the 80’s. Had a front row seat to some of the darkest times imaginable.

Edited by Boone & Crockett 10/2/2018 11:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)