AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with dad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 10/4/2018 09:24 (#7025100 - in reply to #7024517)
Subject: The old boys that quit working

Aberdeen MS
that statement isn't really true at all.

My step uncle, the one in the partnership I was asked to take over for, retired at 65, helped out for a few years then said no more. He'll be 92 in a week.

My step dad, refused to "retire" but did start drawing SS when he was 65. Refused to "give up the reins" at 75 even when he was told by the Dr he had to stay out of dusty conditions and shouldn't drive. When I reminded him of the Dr's instructions, he said and I quote "How do you know about that?" He walked away when I said the Dr told me! At that time he was diagnosed with congenital heart disease, emphysema, copd and sleep apnea.

Only thing I wasn't involved in was the marketing of his grain after that. I laid out the budget for the year and he went to the "bank" for the operating loan. Only thing was the loan officer had to come to him.

At 83 he had a series of small strokes that happened about 3 days before he had to go the the ER. At that point he went to the nursing home, as he needed a wheel chair. He had 3 bouts of pneumonia over the next two years before he passed of pneumonia/respiratory problems.

You want to someone to talk to, give me an email, I'll give you my number.

Greywolf, someone that's walked in your shoes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)