AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with dad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

tigger
Posted 9/28/2018 08:24 (#7013664 - in reply to #7012316)
Subject: RE: Farming with dad.

Iowa
Youth and family are two of the best things you can have on earth. You currently have both. Your youth will fade away, but your family can remain. If you've had the opportunity have a wife, children, and the prospect of grandchildren someday, be thankful for that. They are more important than any farm. I'd focus on doing what is best for them first. That may of may not mean staying on the farm and putting up with the situation with your father. Be it on the farm or an occupation elsewhere, lots of people have put up with far less than ideal situations so long as the occupation met the needs of their family. When all is said and done, it's the family that matters.

In the sense of thinking you've put your whole life into the farm and have sacrificed too much to ever leave, I've been there. It can really seem that way to me when you are young. Time has a way of changing that. I've also spent my youth dealing with a difficult situation with an elderly parent. It seemed like I had too much of my life invested to throw it all away. Had I known then what I know now, I would have thrown a dart at the map and moved there with nothing but the shirt on my back rather than to stay on the farm. In my case, dealing with the elderly parent left no real opportunity the for the life I wanted to have. It's not that I wanted anything out of the ordinary, just the normal things that most people take for granted. One can't go back and change things, but one can make the best of what one has. You have a wife and family now, and a good chunk of your life ahead of you. Get whatever help you need to deal with the situation and plan your future with your family.

Edited by tigger 9/28/2018 08:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)