AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with dad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

kneedeep
Posted 9/27/2018 20:49 (#7012940 - in reply to #7012316)
Subject: RE: Farming with dad.

Lynd Minnesota
Your situation really sucks , but seams common in working with family. I went threw this when I returned from college before I was married. One day my dad pushed me over the edge and I sold my sows and got a “real job” in a warehouse for our local farm supply and well that really sucked, from working with some real losers to getting carbon monoxide poisoning. From there I went to work for a mechanical contractor as well as farming with my dad and a brother (at the time but he eventually left the farming operation). The hardest part was I lived on the farm and nobody else did so I could not “go home” after work because I was attacked by their loose ends and doing there grunt work ( after putting in 50 hours a week at my day job). After 10 years of working in town and acquiring my plumbing license I had to do something because it was too much so I returned to the farm full time by feeding Cattle to help replace farm income. My dad mellowed out as well as myself and I really enjoyed having him a phone call away. Unfortunately after 9 years of farming I lost my dad this spring and really miss the help, thoughts, idea and pride he brought to my operation.

My suggestion would be if you’ never had a off farm “real” job you should- if you think your dad is hard to work for try working for someone else’s dad (the boss and his kids ) you will really appreciate your dad and the legacy he has built.

Long story short you both could learn a lot from not being together all the time .

Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)