AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with dad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 9/27/2018 16:08 (#7012463 - in reply to #7012316)
Subject: RE: Farming with dad.

Rivers, MB
I farm with my dad and brother. Under a similar start as you describe. Fortunately, our management and financial transition has gone fairly smoothly and we are 20 years into it.

Few questions/comments.

1. Have you talked to your dad about how you feel? He may not realize that he is as over-bearing as you describe.
2. How does your mom feel about the situation? Moms can be a great ally in these types of situations. They are often aware of how the dad can be and will often sympathize with their kids so can be a good intermediary.
3. Is your wife supportive of your farming career? Pressure from both sides of family can be overwhelming.
4. I getting help for your depression? Depression isn't something that you just get out of on your own.

I can't give any recommendations as to what to do of the many options that have already been floated. But I will say that I'm in the minority of posters on NAT. Most seem to not be in favor of working/farming together with family. I have had a good experience farming together with parents and brother so far. So my bias isn't to recommend walking/splitting off the farm.

my email is in my profile if you need to vent/talk privately.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)