AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with dad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

SEOHfarmer
Posted 9/29/2018 10:00 (#7015527 - in reply to #7012316)
Subject: RE: Farming with dad.

I sometimes feel the same way. 27 years old, came home from college and it didn't work for us with me full time farming. I still blame myself on that. I was young, dumb and unmotivated. I ended up with an off farm job at a John Deere dealership. Been here about 4.5 years as of now. Dad has since retired from his off farm job and is farming full time but talks about wanting to step away from it in the next few years.

As someone mentioned, I feel the tension during our busy times. I have noticed him drive through a farm late to check on the work I have done or if I am still out working. that one really bothers me. We had a major fight about 2 years ago during the late summer. Things were said about people and attitudes that I still feel like I can't 100% think of him the same way. I explained that I wish I could leave, but being 25 at the time and financially strapped to farm wouldn't allow me to. Some of the things that were said and things that were mention just bother me to this day. We had a few sit downs, he got their pastor involved, few more fights. Things seem to be going better, especially now that me and my girlfriend(of 10 years) are expecting our first child in November. I really hope that things continue to improve. I want nothing more to be able to work with my family, it truly is a blessing when it goes well.

As for your situation, I would suggest an off the farm, full time job. Show that you don't need the farm job and it will show your value on the farm. He can't do it alone and they one employee I am sure. Step away completely. I would still stay in contact with him but don't go over and get sucked into the farm until hopefully he can step up and admit defeat.

Good luck in the whole endeavor and hope it works out for the best.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)