AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with dad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

MJD02
Posted 10/2/2018 08:56 (#7021050 - in reply to #7020596)
Subject: RE: Farming with dad.

West River, SD
schmitty - 10/1/2018 23:40

My employee started working for my dad. I took over his wages when I started paying for everything on the farm. He is very understanding and knows the situation I’m in. He does a good job of basically having 2 bosses
When I say i farm with my dad I mean he’s there every day. His wages are included in his land rent and that’s how he set it up. His acres are about 60% of what I farm so I can’t really let them go. Mainly because I built a shop and 2 new bins on his land ( smart I know but that’s different story) as well as the house I completely remodeled is still in his name.
I don’t expect everyone to understand my situation. If you think I’m making this up for attention, you have your right to an opinion. In reality I’m giving the whole world my situation in hopes someone can give me positive feedback on moving forward, whichever path that will be. If you can’t offer that, I’m sorry I’ve wasted your time and you need not post.

Thank you to all who gave constructive replies. It’s nice to know I’m not alone and you’ve given me a lot to think about.

Have you used your 300K land purchase thing through the FSA yet? Your father does not sound like the type of guy who would go for it, but it could be a way to buy out the buildings and some of the land.

You have probably made the same mistake that I made (for the first few years), by letting your father get away with too much without a confrontation. He then gets in the habit of being the way he is and it is more and more difficult to get him to change, or see the light about his terrible behavior. You are both adults, both have lots of experience, and since you are different people with different ways of looking at things, so the respect needs to go both ways. You probably respect him too much and he feels that he has no need to respect you, which has led to the problem.

So, I guess, tear into him, EVERY time he does something you don't like. Get him used to the idea that he should think before he does or says anything. Turn the tables. If everything falls apart, or if it improves, then it was meant to be, and you will be free.

Yes, this goes against some of the douchey, holier than thou advice, but it is what worked for me, and is my biggest accomplishment since coming back to the place to farm.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)