AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

am I cut out for this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Not quite the middle
Posted 3/11/2019 21:49 (#7374650 - in reply to #7372848)
Subject: RE: am I cut out for this?

NE SD
Lots of good advice given but it does take two to make a relationship work. I have been a farmer's daughter, a farmer's wife and a farm helper for all of my 63 years and wouldn't trade the rough times for any other life. No doubt when the kids are little and take so much of your time and attention it is easy to feel like "you" have been lost in the shuffle......but times goes by so quickly. You sound like you are committed to making your marriage work and building a stronger relationship. I applaud you for that as too many would just walk away. My husband and I work side by side year around....through calving, planting, haying, harvesting, etc. I may be old school but even a long day in the field or a long night in the barn, I still feel it is my job to be the cook, house keeper, bookkeeper, and supportive partner but that is all I have known. Some days don't go as planned and tension gets a bit thick but we have a level of respect and love for each other that is great. It sounds like you and your husband do also but he isn't too vocal about telling you how much he appreciates you. In that little bit of downtime we do talk and plan and share and dream for the future. I don't have advice for you but it sounds like your husband puts pressure on himself to be the best at what he does and provide for his family. I commend him for that and commend you for being supportive even when you have your own daily stress (not that 3 little ones are stress!!) and duties. Each year and new phase of your life will bring new challenges but new opportunities. I hope that you and he can share your plans for the future and continue to grow as a family and as a loving couple.

I want to edit this to add---I don't know about all men during calving season but I admire and respect my husband as he works so hard to care for those mommas and babies (this year has been the worst with super cold temps and record snowfall) but I just know that your husband trusts you to take care of your precious children right now as he is being a good steward to the animals in his care. I have heard that you can tell so much about a person by the way they treat animals so the dedication he is showing the cow herd speaks volumes that he is a good man.

Edited by Not quite the middle 3/11/2019 22:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)