AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

am I cut out for this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Grain Hay Cattle
Posted 3/11/2019 07:47 (#7373088 - in reply to #7372954)
Subject: Another farm wife here

SW Ohio
Hey there! My husband and I have been married 8 years and have three boys--6, 2 and newborn. I came from the city and am a stay at home mom. I understand your struggles, I really really do. It is hard feeling isolated with small kids at home. It is hard to be out on the farm, especially during winter and early spring. It can be so lonely. We have been dealing with a lot of sickness in our house all winter. We have had two weeks that everyone was healthy at the same time. It is exhausting. It took me about 3 years after our oldest was born to really come to terms that this is a season in my life. My children will be little for a short time and then I can go back to helping on the farm. I'm not sure if you like to have an active role on the farm, but this has been one of the hardest parts of being a mom for me. I can't just run out to barn or run the tractors or go on errands with my husband. Everything takes planning and at that point the guys have moved on. I have a good group of friends with young kids in town (although they have all been stuck inside with sick kids also :) ) and that helps an awful lot when it comes to feeling isolated. My husband started taking Sundays off when our oldest was a baby and that is so nice. Ray still has to feed morning and night and will work during planting and harvest, but tries not to have too much hay stuff to do (or I do it and he has the kids). That has helped our family. I have to remind myself that Ray is working long and hard to not only to expand and grow our farming business, but most importantly so our children can have mom raise them all day everyday (lucky me, lol). Not many 30 year olds who are starting out can afford to have a stay at home parent and for that I am truly grateful.

Caffeine helps me be a better mom. Church, MOM's prayer group, my friends, my family who live 30-45 mins away all help me stay sane. Taking the kids to the zoo, the children's museum and different parks help me look forward to each day even if the visit turns into a serious of little disasters (you know what I'm talking about). Then once 7pm comes along, there is light at the end of tunnel.

I'll keep you in my prayers. Some days I am more optimistic than others and today I just ate chocolate for breakfast so I'm feeling pretty good at the moment :)

Sarah
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)