AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

am I cut out for this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

blondebeck
Posted 3/11/2019 13:17 (#7373718 - in reply to #7373475)
Subject: RE: am I cut out for this?

NE Oregon

You are SO right. He definitely sees our time working together as time well spent, quality time, while I do not. (Hard to talk about anything meaningful with all the interruptions!) I agree with you 100% about calving later. My husband worked as a commodity broker doing risk management in the Midwest for a while and is very analytical by nature. He sees everything as margin- like not as in $per head but as in $profit per head. Farming the same way, like if we spend 100 hours fixing equipment we only use for 5 weeks if the year, neglecting the cattle and getting the hay up late, are we really making money in the hay compared to having a custom harvesting crew come in and do it in a couple days for each cutting with better quality and less stress to boot? He has said how frustrating it is his dad doesn’t see things that way. He thinks the more things you can do yourself, the better, and the bigger calves in the fall, the better. Even though regionally the market is undervalued seasonally at that time for the weight of calves we have. Hubs has considered this and would move calving back a month in a heartbeat. There’s infrastructure improvements that could be made to keep the winter chores minimal. He sees all this. But it feel like just waiting for father-in-law to die to have any hope of the ranch being “ours” to run and dream about. Right now he’s just a very overworked employee, generally speaking.
I’m going to share with him what you said though. I know he’s posted on here about that before and it’s neat to see that there really is more than one way of thinking about things! :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)