AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Catholic marrying a non- catholic, need advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

EricCKS
Posted 3/20/2015 14:13 (#4466155 - in reply to #4465935)
Subject: RE: Catholic marrying a non- catholic, need advice

Sunflower State

beh - 3/20/2015 10:35 Why is there a double standard in the marriage, Eric? It seems that the Catholic Church wants to ignore the court's paperwork about what the marriage was. But, on the other other side of the coin, when there is a divorce, they want the paperwork filed to say there is an annulment? I am conservative Lutheran (LCMS) and I will admit as much as we are taught about the Catholic faith (and our closeness and differentness from those beliefs), I was not into it at that time but that is always a question I have had. I am guessing I just don't understand it, not picking at all, just curious.

Brad, great questions. No offense taken at all.

A civil marriage is a contract. Just like cutting wheat for a fellow. Sometimes there is a contract, sometimes not. When one party does not hold up there end a judge settles the dispute, contract over.

The Catholic Church however sees the marriage as a divine act which supersedes civil practice. While the court says contract is broken, divorce is granted, the Catholic Church wait a minute....the human laws created through the court system are not divine. If God brought these two people together they are still married in His eyes and that is honored until proven null. 

Thus the annulment process which generally pisses people off. It was designed to determine if the marriage was valid (brought to fruition by God) or null (not designed by God). The process has been created over time by people as we do not have God physically present to ask, "did they follow your will when they got hitched or their own"? When the annulment process is started by one or both of the married people they are given paperwork, questionnaires etc to begin determining nullity or validity (btw. I am using language used through out the process). Parents, friends and relatives are asked to respond answering similar questions. A tribunal takes all this information collected and decides null or valid. 

One could argue that both processes were created by people and can be flawed. However, as someone pointed out in this thread, it is in the scriptures that divorce is not good and should be used under grave circumstances. The annulment process is the Catholic Churches best answer to make sure God's law is followed well.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)