AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back in the day of higher carbs............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/25/2020 15:21 (#8064965 - in reply to #8064772)
Subject: RE: not everyone needs ultra low carb

Pittsburg, Kansas
It is funny you mention your foray into the low carb environment. After I answered your post and went for a scuba dive by myself, while under water I reflected how I actually got started down this path.

The seed was actually planted probably two or three years after the financial crisis back in 2007-08. So maybe 8 or 9 years ago. I had the pleasure of having dinner with Karl Denninger (the Ticker guy) at a financial meeting put on by Casey Research. Seems like it was in Arizona somewhere. I remember Denninger eating his steak and salad and leaving the potato on his plate. I was eyeballing his pie which he passed up and was thinking a second piece would sure taste good, but not wanting to be rude and knowing the one piece I already had was one more than I should have I did not pursue it.

After dinner I had the chance to walk out with him. He being observant probably noticed my extended belly and told me he used to be that way to. Told me to cut the carbs out (he did it in a very nice way, one that showed genuine concern). That planted the seed, but it did not germinate till way later. I followed his blog for years and in between political rants and financial blogs, he would periodically bring up diet and plug getting the sugar and carbs out of the diet. I kept getting the message from him via his blog. But it was not till about a year and a half ago that after reading him again I started doing some digging from other sources. That is when the whole low carb underworld opened up to me. I started watching a few videos, then a few more. Then a bunch. Started showing my wife some of them. Then December 2018 while down here in Bonaire I was watching two or three videos a night, mostly along with my wife. By about the first of February 2019 we were both ready to do something about our health.

And as they say, the rest is history. I'm a slow learner. Took me the better part of a decade to "get it".

I hope others can benefit more quickly than I did from my slothful learning ability.

John

Edited by John Burns 2/25/2020 15:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)