AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back in the day of higher carbs............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RDinMN
Posted 2/26/2020 20:20 (#8067708 - in reply to #8066067)
Subject: RE: just to be clear............

Southwestern Minnesota
You're right in that Western medicine seems more geared to fixing problems than preventing disease. Prevention takes more effort on the part of the patient- you said yourself it took 8-9 years to embrace a change. It's hard to do that in a 30 minute appointment once a year. But I do think that there are people in the healthcare arena who are in the know on this. I don't think it is a topic that is being neglected. The video you shared is a good example. The presenter is a medical resident at a mainstream medical school. She is a chief resident and instructor at the medical school at the Washington School of Medicine. She is presenting a topic at the Grand Rounds for her peers and colleagues at the university on this nutrition topic. That's great. I do think that nutrition and prevention are "being handled". But getting patients to listen and participate is a problem. Patients typically like quick fixes that do not require a lot of investment on their part. Human nature maybe. Something caused you to become invested, and invested you are. Kudos to you.

As for the cost structure and charging practices- you are right- the medical field is big business. There are so many players and so much money involved that it is impossible to control. Drug companies, Tech companies, insurance companies- yuck. Much like farming where there are many players who are in it for the money too- technology, equipment, chemicals- another yuck. What would the cost of food be without all the players who want their piece of the pie? Healthcare is a debate on a national level on how to rein it in. If I had the answer to that, I could run for President.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)