AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back in the day of higher carbs............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/24/2020 11:17 (#8062418 - in reply to #8062302)
Subject: the macros

Pittsburg, Kansas
Just for kicks, I decided to see how much carbs and protein and fat I had for lunch.

I ate the whole bag of pork rinds today. I usually eat half to two thirds of a bag but the whole bag today. That was four servings. It gave me a total of 2 grams carbs which was also 2 grams sugars (if we would eat the plain they are lower, but we really like the Smoky BBQ - they do have some added sugar in the coating). 27 grams fat of which almost 10 saturated. 67 grams protein. A few other things.

The sardines in olive oil: Zero sugars, 15 grams fat with 3 gram saturated. 16 grams protein. Now the interesting thing is that is "drained". I always eat the juice when it is in olive oil (why I eat them with a spoon) so there would be some more fat in there, maybe a tablespoon.

So for the lunch meal I ended up with 2 grams carbs consisting of 2 grams sugar, 42 grams fat (probably more like 50 with the olive oil), 83 grams protein. So about a 2-1 protein to fat ratio. Not that I really pay that much attention to the ratio of protein to fat. I'm with Ben Bikman on limiting protein for me as an older adult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3fO5aTD6JU

Just a lark. I don't usually even think about such stuff other than in general terms.

Keep in mind a person losing weight could be burning a much higher percentage of fat becasue they are metabolizing their own body fat. That is where the fat weight loss comes from. But for me I am weight stable, so if I am burning body fat (and I may be) it is fat that I am adding back daily going into fat storage through diet. If that makes sense. A metabolically healthy person will add storage subcutaneous fat from the food they eat, then burn it back off in the next 24? hours some time, if they are weight stable. That is the way things are supposed to work in the body.

When insulin stays high all the time (by eating carbs all the time or being insulin resistant) the fat goes into storage but never comes back out because high insulin locks fat burning down.

John

Edited by John Burns 2/24/2020 11:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)