AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back in the day of higher carbs............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

havin’funfarming
Posted 2/27/2020 11:39 (#8069060 - in reply to #8068743)
Subject: RE: Back in the day of higher carbs............

I find this topic very interesting since I started looking into it. I think we have been told that fats are the villain when in fact they are only the villain IF we eat an over abundance of carbs. Carbs and sugars are “instant energy” so, like any system, the body takes the path of least resistance and uses them first. That leaves fat, the slower released energy source, left over. I believe we arrived to the conclusion that fats were bad because they were the leftover energy that got stored in our normal western diets. That led to the conclusion that cutting out fats was good for us. That is only true because we were overloaded with energy from carbs.

It all makes sense if a person thinks about it. When they suggested cutting fats out of the diet people lost weight and became somewhat healthier. They were taking in less energy. To the public, fats did appear to be the problem. What it didn’t take into account was that it was actually the excess nutrient intake that was the underlying problem and that cutting out fats instead of carbs might not have been the best method. Perhaps we would have been better off to maintain our fat intake and reduce our carb intake instead. Both methods reduce total energy intake and thus reduce body fat and all the issues that go with it. If, as it now appears is true, fats are a better source of that energy I think it is a step in the right direction.

Edit to add: This is a new one. I got fats and carbs in the wrong order in my original post and when I submitted my edited post it went below yours instead of dlerwick’s post like it was before.

Edited by havin’funfarming 2/27/2020 11:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)