AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Son and Hired Man.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Trey8650
Posted 4/28/2015 23:34 (#4543459 - in reply to #4540858)
Subject: RE: Son and Hired Man.....

Stafford County, Kansas
I am a little younger, but about out of college and feel very similar to you in many ways and ways you haven't mentioned. A positive thing about my father is he is always looking after me. He has consigned many loans to help me get up and running and on my feet.He understands my desire and love for American Ag. All I've ever possibly wanted to do was farm, started with bucket calves when I was 6, then had an acre or two of garden that I sold produce out of up until High School. Those too endeavors and the $6/hour that my father payed me in the elementary days paid for a round baler. One round baler turned into two and now I am needing a third to keep up with demand. I think it's how bad you want it. You've got to claw and scratch your way the whole way in this day and age which I'm sure you do with your endeavors.

One thing I have seen is with my fathers 3 full time hired man is he feels a responsibility to have a paycheck for them at the end of the month to keep them going and afloat. Similar to how he watches after me but not to this extent. He let one full time go last year, and hasn't filled the position yet.

I kind of laugh when we settle up at the end of the year. Last year, He payed me less per hour than I pay my own hired guys on the hay crew! But I understand he has to keep things fair as he pays me what he pays his full time help. In one way I feel the need to build up my own operation while still pleasing my father by aiding in his needs as much as possible. I have the desire to do things on my own and not have to depend on someone else even if it is an easier road to just receive a paycheck at the end of the day. Where is the pride in that?

One thing that I have dedicated myself to is a commitment to work. I run around the clock for my father a lot of the year. It builds pride in him, because that is how he built his operation and that is how I built my own operation. (Kinda have to bale hay around the clock anyways).

Many people gave me the advice to go to college in order to learn something to fall back on if anything went wrong or we lost the farm. I think that view of an education sets you up for failure. If a guy has a true heart for farming and the determination to make something of himself in life it will get done. Just gotta get them gears rolling.

Get after it and good luck. I know what you are feeling.

Trey

Edited by Trey8650 4/28/2015 23:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)