AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Son and Hired Man.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Istumped
Posted 4/28/2015 07:38 (#4542145 - in reply to #4541927)
Subject: RE: Son and Hired Man.....

ne il
00rooster - 4/27/2015 13:53

Wow, you can really get a lay of the land by reading the responses to this situation. Must be a LOT of spoiled kids all these baby boomer farmers have to deal with.........

I can't possibly know what is happening there. On one hand I've seen fathers abuse their kids for free labor and expect them to always be around to help, but never give them anything to help get them started. They have an attitude of "You have to wait until I die to get anything....but if you don't help I won't give it to you" While many would tell you that wanting a piece of the action is selfish...it is actually the denial of that piece which is ultimately the selfish move...because they've screwed the next generation.

On the other hand I've seen plenty of entitled kids run the farm into the ground.

It could be that you dad thinks you are better than a hired "steering wheel holder"...because that is what a hired man is....maybe he sees more potential for you with your side business. Does he really seem excited for you about that? Maybe he truly sees potential there. On the other hand, he might just not have the stomach to lay off the hired man who has done nothing wrong. Some people find it easier to disappoint family than total strangers. There could be an possibility that both you and the hired man could be looking for work if the ag economy goes south and the pencils have to get pretty sharp. If there isn't any money for a hired man(you or the other guy) its a heck of a lot easier to let the other guy go than you, and you'd already have a fallback position and didn't depend on that work so much.

When you talk to your dad...ask him how you are supposed to live on $9000 a year? How am I supposed to buy you and brother out someday? The promise of inheritance 40-50 years from now doesn't provide for my family today, nor does it buy equipment tomorrow. If I am running around struggling to make ends meet how am I supposed to focus on ANY business?

I had to go outside of the farm when I was younger, but we didn't have any hired men. It might be kind of foolish to keep a hired man on, while making the son go outside of the family business to earn a living. But I also understand from a father's perspective that you need to prove yourself first....Learn how to kill something and drag it home.

There weren't enough acres to support two household when I got out of college, so I had to get outside work. My dad died from cancer a few years later, but it gave him a lot of peace to know that I knew how to manage money and had work ethic. He knew that both my sister an me were financially independent and capable of handling an inheritance. I think that fear is a very real part of what happens with these types of legacy inheritances. A little struggle early in life is a good thing.....its not supposed to be easy.

But if you can't get a straight answer from dad about what is going on, then you need to work for someone else for a while. It would do you good to have that experience anyhow. But that also means dad doesn't get priority for your time. You have your own family to support, you can't be his crutch for the rest of his career. If he farms until he dies or can't work anymore who is gonna help you for free of charge?

You make alot of valid points. Can't believe all The bashing on hired help,employees,farm hands.... Some are worth more than you could ever imagine. I guiess if you think of your help that way. Maybe you can do without them. Makes me wonder how good of a boss,owner,farmer you really are. This is not directed to you by any means just a response from the replies in regards of hire help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)