AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Son and Hired Man.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

emtbd1979
Posted 4/28/2015 21:47 (#4543235 - in reply to #4543214)
Subject: RE: Son and Hired Man.....

west central illinois
Farmdog1 - 4/28/2015 20:41

Ewfflyer - 4/28/2015 19:56

Farmdog1 - 4/27/2015 22:22

Iowa Quality Hay - 4/27/2015 21:17

This is a perfect illustration of why I am a firm believer that one should NOT return to the farm straight after college. Working for a few years away from the farm is a valuable experience and gives you insight you don't get when you go from the classroom back to the tractor cab for daddy.

So the son worked off farm for a few years... He wants to return to the farm. The farm hasn't expanded... What's the difference?

Then it wasn't feesable in the first place. Crap happens, you need to either suck it up, or go out on your own. If it's meant to be, it will happen, there is plenty of time to bring you in.

I was encouraged to go non-Ag on college, which I did. I stuck with that career from 04' til the fall of 10' when dad needed more than just part time help. I kept active in the farm when I moved back to the area, and lived around the county block. It's been an interesting road, and it's taken 5 years to get to the point of setting up a partnership. It was easy to let things be the last several years with incomes being at all time highs, now that I am going to be working for potentially peanuts, we have moved forward with plans.

What I am trying to relate to you is your dad is a lot younger than mine. It is extremely difficult for someone to think in the capacity of transition and succession because it's a "end all" in their mind. Give it time, if it's meant to be it will work out.

I feel you are completely disrespectful of the hired hand. It's not your call, the guy is doing his job, you need to do yours. If you arent being justly compensated for your time, then you should bring that up, but you aren't entitled to bumping someone out.

You mention the hired hand is a truck driver, so I am going to assume he has a CDL? I know of several operations that will commercial plate one of their trucks and send that guy out in the off season. Get a lease agreement with a local trucking company or work with some of the local elevators or other vendors you know that might need trucking. Every day someone else is covering his salary is a day they aren't picking it up, which in turn shows you can make a leadership decision with some good problem solving.

It won't be easy, if it was then everyone would do it! Good luck, feel free to contact me if you want more insight.

Yes the guy has his CDL... as do I.. I drive a truck from time to time in my side business. What does the hired guy do in the winter? Absolutely nothing unless it is time to haul grain...

You can say what you will about my disrespect towards him... I don't disrespect him one bit. He does more than he is asked the majority of the time, but not a lot is expected of him other than labor. That is what differs us.. a few years ago my dad and uncle didn't even fully understand the ability to use crop insurance to their advantage (at least possibly). I was able to explain to them that 85% coverage might actually make more sense and these last few years it has... even last year we had a few claims on 200+ bu corn.. Who pointed out the fact that a spring price could be locked in several months prior to its insurance date.... I did. Was it the hired guy, of course not why should it be. My point is I bring more to the table in terms of business skills.... I may get ridiculed on here for questioning what is done on the operation from time to time, but if you asked my father and uncle they would both be very grateful for some of the insight I have given them over the past few years. Believe it or not my input is welcomed... most things we agree on and some we don't. Some I have accepted that that is just they way it will be done....
what are you wanting to gain here? You just keep talking in circles. Your last sentence should explain everything for you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)