AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Son and Hired Man.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Farmdog1
Posted 4/27/2015 15:11 (#4540894 - in reply to #4540877)
Subject: RE: Son and Hired Man.....

outsidethebox - 4/27/2015 14:54

If you replace the hired man, how do you plan to do his job, (fitting ground ahead of the planter), and your job (planting)?

Maybe your father and uncle want to slow down and have you two do the bulk of the steering wheel holding, and you don't realize your other interests keep you from focusing on how to manage their business, as planting doesn't make you a manager.

One of them could work ahead of the planter or I could, and one of them could plant.... It is only this way now because I am around, no one is forcing me to stay on the farm. If I didn't have my other business I might actually consider getting a 9-5 and doing my own thing completely and waiting until their retirement.

I don't claim to be a manager, but this is a black and white issue. There is a hired guy, and a guy that (me) is just around because he wants to be and they enjoy not working as hard... the hired guy makes decent money, I don't. The hired guy isn't going to take over when they retire. The plan is I will.

I got a bachelors degree more so as my parents request as a way to pass time until they could afford to let me into the operation. My degree is in Ag Economics, with a concentration in Farm Management... I felt as if I was let to believe when college was done I would be a part of the farm. It does not feel that way.

Edited by Farmdog1 4/27/2015 15:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)