AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Son and Hired Man.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Farmdog1
Posted 4/27/2015 14:36 (#4540858)
Subject: Son and Hired Man.....

Hi I am a new member here but long time lurker and have learned a lot over the years on these forums. I wanted to get opinions on an issue I am having regarding our farming operation.

A little background... our farm consists of 2 brothers one of which is my father, and then one full time hired man. I graduated college a year ago and during college I started a side business that has grown into something that makes me a fair bit of income and it goes along great with farming (doesn't really interfere). I have a few parcels of my own, but not enough to make a living.

My frustration is the fact that we do have a hired man, and in all honesty 3 men is enough to make our operation work just fine the majority of the time. I work for them full time in the spring and fall, but make peanuts compared to the salaried hired man. This spring I have been running the planter, the hired man has been working in front of me, and then my father and uncle have been bringing me seed (a one person job).... So far most days one of them has not had to really do anything.

I don't want to sound like I feel like I am entitled to anything but maybe I do feel that way. I think that if there is enough extra money in the operation to allow a full time man to be hired that money should come to me and I should replace him. Is the hired guy willing to reinvest any of his profit back into the operation? No, am I? of course. Has he gone out and talked to dozens of farm managers, tried to pick up some custom work, and expressed his interested in taking over for a few older gentleman who may retire soon? Been given the opportunity to at least bid on a few farms? .....Of course not. I have but yet when I discuss this with my father I simply get told how I just need to focus on my other business until we pick up enough ground. Without paying insane rents that most likely won't happen for a few years.

I'm just asking for advice on how to handle this situation. Part of me wants to just move on and do something else for a few years but that won't work because my other business works great with farming and most other jobs wouldn't allow me to devote time to it during it's busy seasons. One thing I have noticed is my father has a weird relationship with the hired man, he clearly feels important being able to tell some guy what to do and get help with all kinds of other non farm projects. I do as I am told as well, but I'm just a son... I can't really explain but the way I see it is that there is some sort of ego thing involved with my father and having a hired guy.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Basically I am frustrated as to why I am getting squat when the hired man makes decent money. My other job would not interfere with farming, and if I were to do both (replace the hired man) I would at least be making decent money.

I realize I may sound a bit pouty over this issue, but when I had been led to believe things would be different and I feel as if my own dad prefers the work/company of someone else (my uncle is not really an issue in this situation) it gets to me.

Thanks for any advice...

Edited by Farmdog1 4/27/2015 14:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)