AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tanker firetruck
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kstate90
Posted 3/4/2012 07:41 (#2266345 - in reply to #2266252)
Subject: RE: Hey Einstein.

North Central Kansas
Plowboy can you really buy them for $2,000? That would be alot of truck for that kind of money. I have never watched the 915 series trucks that close on gov liquidation. Have been more interested in the 800-900 series 6x6 trucks as that is what we run for our tanker/heavy brush trucks. The 915 has a 12000 pound front end so it would work for a tanker. 400 hp big cam III cummins would be plenty of power. Chrome stack for those who have to have chrome on their fire trucks. A little red paint and you would be in business. The tank would probably be your costliest item. $10-12,000 for a NFPA approved baffled fire tank 2000 -2500 gallon with a newton quick dump. The length of the M915A1 may dicatate the total gallons you can carry. Without measuring one not sure, but pretty sure 2000 would fit easily. I would put a 3" electric start transfer pump on for filling trucks.

Truck: M915A1 purchased from Uncle Sam: $4,000
Tank: NFPA baffled poly tank w/quick dump: $12,000
Pump: 3" Electric Start Transfer Pump: $4,500
Electrical inverter to convert 24volt to 12 volt: $200
Light package: Sho Me 37" light bar, switch box
and rotators $600
Paint: Buy paint and paint it yourself, prime with $600
self etching primer, black frame paint , and red
on top
Total: $21,900
A tanker just has to get to the fire. It doesn't have to run 100mph getting there. I wouldn't put a non NFPA approved tank on the truck. Sloshing water and speed is what causes most tanker accidents. With this truck I'm guessing you could eliminate the speed issue but the water sloshing could still cause problems. While you are on a budget you still want to try and get things built right. We run the M800 series that we get through the KS forest Service. Very reliable trucks. NHC250's in them. Kind of wish they had the 400 cummins.

I got to go for now. Painting our fire districts new M813 super single 5ton 6x6 today. I'll post pictures of it a little later.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)