AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog bulding logic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 12/25/2012 16:13 (#2775313 - in reply to #2775273)
Subject: RE: Hog bulding logic

Sodbustr - 12/25/2012 14:40  I would strongly think about having someone else custom feed for me, but getting the manure is a material objective of this proposed adventure................

That is pretty much the same as everyone else that is putting up buildings to custom feed in.

They don't want the risk of owning hogs, they want the manure.    The manure is their reward.  

I don't know what will happen moving forward but I expect that there could be a time coming when it cost as much or more to have manure applied as it does to buy the commercial fert.       Diesel fuel could stay high price and with more anhydrous plants coming on line N could get cheaper at the same time, nat gas is already cheap.

Overall there is money in owning the hogs if you average it out.       But the lows can wipe out a pile of equity in a hurry.   There is no govt support for hogs.    No LDP, CCP, crop ins,  none of that.        There are times when you will lose money faster than you can imagine.     Very rarely do you make it back faster than you can imagine.

Aside from marketing your own hogs you need a reliable pig source.       Buying pigs on the open market is not what I call reliable.     Right now open market weaned pigs are selling for $60+.       I can't even come close to figuring a profit on a $60 pig.  

Its a $10 loss at best with the current corn/sbm and hog prices.

There are also a lot of rules/regs to jump through.    If you custom feed whoever you are working with will help you through all of it.   If you feed your own you will pretty much be on your own.

Aside from all that ask yourself how much you want to work with hogs everyday, including Christmas day.   Hogs are quite as bad as milk cows but they're a lot worse than a corn/bean field.

I better go, gotta get chores done...

Hopefully there isn't a frozen feed auger like there was the other day.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)