AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Abstract: What if there were no Hog Confinements?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Baby Robin
Posted 2/11/2019 17:45 (#7314285 - in reply to #7313663)
Subject: RE: Not to be a smart butt

Fontanelle, IA
But how much profit in a typical corn and soybean rotation can be returned from 5-10k ground from the land - strictly by itself? No subsidization from your paid for acres or cheap rent rate acres?

I think that high dollar land could be used for livestock purposes IF your intensity of management of the "system" is high AND you can capture higher price/higher margin because of your product. No doubt- you have to get a premium or factor a premium in for the niche part.... I just don't see how you could raise piglets on pasture and sell for sow farm confinement prices.

I could see many pasture paddocks of 40-50 sows in huts in say 3-5 acre paddocks. Once the piglets get to 30 days old, you wean. All huts in paddock are taken out, ruts and wallows leveled, land seeded to oats for future bedding supplies or planted to corn or soybeans if plant by date isn't too late. A few of your paddocks would get sacrificed during the grow/finish stage. Your whole goal under a high land value situation has to be pigs AND crops AND each crop has to add value to the pig enterprise OR supplement revenue back to the land. In a sense.... Double cropping.

We went through some pretty awful wet springs when I was in high school. But I don't remember it raining every single day from April through June. Probably just nostalgic, positive only memories on my part.

Edited by Baby Robin 2/11/2019 17:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)