AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High school sports again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

farmer45
Posted 12/7/2016 07:46 (#5681668 - in reply to #5681415)
Subject: RE: High school sports again

Washington Co Ks
Times have changed a lot since I was in school. Both teachers and kids have changed. A number of years ago I was in the barber shop in a neighboring town and some other guys were talking about how the kids didn't respect their teachers. After listening for a while I made the comment I didn't know about their school but in our school there was a big difference from when I was in school on both sides. When I was in school our teachers earned our respect now days there are to many teachers that only deserve respect because they are a teacher. Now before you jump on me I said many not all by any means. After saying that the other guys changed their tone and started telling some of the things that their teachers were doing. The teacher that I respected the most was a tough old gal. I always said that if anyone could make a kid learn she could. She wasn't all that well liked but she was well respected. She was tough but fair. If she made a mistake she would apologize and we went on. A number of my kid's teachers would get mad and cuss at the kids and treat kids differently depending on who they were. One principle they had promoted what today would be considered bullying.

As far as coaching is concerned I think there needs to be some kind of happy medium. When my kids were playing either t-ball or coach pitch ball they had a coach that was very lax in coaching. She would have told a kid he did a good job if he ran the wrong way. One night after loosing a game I went to the car for something and as I passed by the winning team seated under a tree I got an earful. They had two coaches that were ripping into the kids for every mistake they made. When one stopped to catch his breath the other one would start in. About half of their kids were crying. While our coach needed to do a little more coaching winning isn't everything and you surely can instruct a kid without making they feel two foot tall.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)