AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High school sports again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

TractorAddict
Posted 12/6/2016 13:23 (#5680056 - in reply to #5679957)
Subject: RE: High school sports again

West of Broken Bow
paul the original - 12/6/2016 00:30

Back when I was in FFA the chapter president was one of the ag teachers sons. The kid couldn't make state FFA convention tho, we had to send a sub. Something was going on with baseball, and it was terribly vital the kid did whatever the team was doing. Didn't matter that he was chapter president, baseball was the all consuming big deal at school. Team, team, team.

I always wondered, wasn't FFA supposed to be a team also, but I guess if it ain't high school sports, it really isn't important.

I can see a lot of good coming from high school sports, the teamwork and friendship and focus.

But it seems that is somehow warped into some all consuming gang of kids that get so far out of balance any more, I don't know if I would want a kid on the A team any more in high school.

The super jock mentality leaves me a little cold.

Your kid can go to practice, or he can go to the calf sale. Choices get made, and consequences happen. If the coach or the team mates are jerks, there appear to be plenty of other activities out there to join in.

Doesn't seem like a big deal, except it's a super jock, so the world has to stand still until it is resolved.

As you can tell, I'm kinda jaded by the extreme attention the sports jocks got in high school, while the rest of the class body was allowed to cheer for them otherwise shut up and stay out of their busy and important schedule, don't touch their sports equipment or fields, ... Blah. Bad attitudes, bad memories. Even after all the here years.

Your kid has super jock problems, kinda like saying a first world problem, to the average kid and parent in your school district there probably are real, actual issues to address that could use the attention?

Sure, the coach was out of line, but I assume he was a super jock himself in high school, and the attitude and issues just carry on from generation to generation......

Win, baby, win, that's all that counts.

If you want your kid to be in that world, then you have to tell him he has to give up all the other stuff and be part of that superior group of more worthwhile jocks, not bother with the rest of the school rabble.

Paul

I agree Paul. The millions and millions spent on public high school stadiums is stunning. You'd think that is the most important thing about schools and cities these days. In my school days, we had the same old simple field with aluminum bleachers that had been there for decades. If you visit that city and many others, they look like college or even semi professional football stadiums. Unreal how much money flows into these projects. The newer high school looks like a college campus now.

Things sure have changed in a huge way, and I'm not certain it's necessarily for the better. I don't recognize any of what is going on.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)