AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High school sports again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

billw
Posted 12/6/2016 16:17 (#5680307 - in reply to #5680141)
Subject: RE: High school sports again

E. Kansas

Suey - 12/6/2016 14:22

Former School board member here.   I think you could just let it go... since the coach has  apologised.      Or if the coach is not the athletic director  maybe say something to the AD.   Maybe  something to the affect of:   I'm not filing a formal complaint  but,  I don't want something like this happening all the time.       It is very likely  that there have been other complaints in the past.    An informal sit down between the coach and the AD  could be a good thing.

So I guess anytime any teacher at that school wants to call a kid what this coach did, then it's ok if he/she was mad and then "apologizes" with a text. Doesn't a teacher have anything in their contract, such as a Code of Conduct, that is signed and agreed to that must be followed at all times for any type of school function? Or, since he's a coach then it's ok, because that's just what a coach can do and it builds character in a sports team? Maybe this "coach" will use the same coaching influence with his 4th grade class also and call them the same name whenever he gets frustrated, stomp off, etc. Would that be ok, and he can just send a text to say he's sorry? How could you now trust hm to not carry on in similar manner with them? Or is it grade-specific or event-specific on how a teacher is to conduct them self?

That kind of carrying on and with the attitude behind it will get you instantly fired in many jobs. Absolutely no second chance, even with some wimpy "i'm sorry" text. Imagine that. I guess maybe a coach is different, or can all teachers use the same language at school or school functions?

Another very concerning part of the coach's temper tantrum is the stomping out. Do that at your job and see what happens. Is that what we should teach our kids to do whenever something doesn't go their way and they're mad? Coach did it. And now, he will know that he can throw a fit however he wants, and just send a text, and all will be well. He doesn't have to demonstrate self-control. Just throw a fit and send a text later to say sorry, and then all is well. Do we want our kids to develop that same attitude that coach has, and then think they can just send a text and clear everything up?

What else might he do when he gets mad? Evidently coaching is simply too much for him, to let things like some game and questions/conversation with kids afterward get to him and he display such unprofessional and unsportsmanlike behavior to the team. It was one of the kids that got between him and the OP's son. That should be a huge embarrassment for the coach, as well as the school administration, that their employee goes off on such a tangent and needed one of the kids to help him simmer down.

With a "hand's off" attitude by the school administration to an event like this, if they have been made aware of the situation, is nothing more than their stamp of approval on his actions. Some informal sit down meeting with the coach is still only approving what he did. If you're on a school board, you can't just set back and let unprofessional conduct like the coach displayed simply go unaddressed so you don't have to get your hands dirty. He should receive formal disciplinary action. You just can't allow any teachers to carry on like that. As long as he gets a paycheck from the school as a teacher, he is obligated to exhibit professional behavior at all times at school and school activities. Being a coach doesn't give him any type of free pass.

Edited by billw 12/6/2016 17:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)