AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High school sports again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

cattlefeeder
Posted 12/6/2016 19:24 (#5680750 - in reply to #5679717)
Subject: RE: High school sports again

Central Kansas
I think high school sports are so overrated it is not even funny. Yes they might teach teamwork and following orders but all that and many more life lessons could be learned from just getting a job. When I was in high school I just worked on a farm that also ran a lot of cattle. Learned more there that could be used in life than could ever be taught on a football field or basketball court. Went to work everyday after school and stayed until at least 7 every night. Worked 7:30 am until 7 pm or later every Saturday. On Sunday we worked until everything was fed which was usually around 1pm. I saved up more money that could be used for college than any of my classmates got in sports scholarships.

I have a high school kid that works for me now. He played football his freshman year when he started working for me and we worked around that. Then that next summer he did not participate in the summer weight program instead choosing to work for me on the farm. We spent a good portion of the summer building fence. The coach said he would have to do lots of extra running to catchup with the kids that spent 1 hour a day 5 days a week lifting weights. I guess spending probably at least 40 hours a week in the 100 degree heat digging post holes and throwing 80 pound bags of quickrete let you get out of shape. This wasn't counting all the hours doing the normal farm routine. He came to me and said he wanted to just work for me all fall and not go out for football. I was actually glad to have the extra help, but I told him I would talk to the coach if he wanted. He said no he had already figured out that he would be better off working here and not beating his body up for an ungrateful coach. I still wanted to tell the coach to bring himself and whoever he thought was his most in shape player out and spend a week with us building fence to see who is in better shape.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)