AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Texas I don't understand
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

caleb2684
Posted 2/19/2021 09:17 (#8844205 - in reply to #8843874)
Subject: RE: Question for Texas I don't understand

Aggieland
It’s pretty simple if you think about it. We don’t build to withstand something that’s never happened before.

I can guarantee you nothing will change due to this storm because it would cost too much to implement the changes to be ready for the next one. We don’t do basements in Texas primarily due to the moisture issues. We have a few here and there and they all wreak of mold and mildew. Pier and Beam makes up less than a 1/3 of houses and I only know of one built around here within the last ten years. Sewer pipes are all in the slab and fresh water is always in the attic. In most places in Texas the cold water pipe gets insulated in the attic to prevent it from being hot water in the summer! We insulate R19 in the walls and R36 in the attic. Most every house has attic ventilators either gravity or powered. (I think this is why many had busted pipes is no one got on their roofs and covered them). Air conditioning is a must in every house. Windows aren’t the greatest quality here either.

The other thing and quite possibly the biggest thing is that society as a whole no longer knows how to take care of themselves. I am amazed at the number of people that have no clue what to do when anything adverse comes up. I joked with a customer yesterday that the one thing that all races, religions and wealth levels have in common is they all panic in times like these and buy the grocery stores bare of anything and everything.

I’m doing my best to make my kids understand the why and how behind everything in life. I took my 8 year old son to a house under construction I was doing the HVAC work in and had him figure out what room was what based on the utilities in each room and the little fart nailed all of them. I was a proud dad especially since this particular house had a open concept kitchen, dining and living.

So I wrote all this to say please don’t judge us for us misfortunes as we too don’t understand why house up have wood stoves, basements and snow blowers! It’s quite fascinating to me to travel the country and observe how things are so different in our wonderful country.

We will survive. But in true Texan fashion regarding this weather, please COME AND TAKE IT!

CLeb
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)