AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Texas I don't understand
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

twraska
Posted 2/19/2021 10:45 (#8844390 - in reply to #8844333)
Subject: RE: Question for Texas I don't understand

Wallis, TX
Galaxie64 - 2/19/2021 10:17

twraska - 2/19/2021 09:08

Well, to answer why they don’t turn the water of is cause it normally won’t help. The pipes are not installed so they drain. They go up and over, down and around things. Water is trapped inside most systems, and the pipes in the outer wall will never drain cause they go down and back up to the sink.

A very few are plumbed with drains at low points but those are extremely rare.

My house has insulation on the pipes and I still had 3 popped in the house. I blew the lines with air to check for leaks, and still had some water trapped when I was fixing them.

Now a question for the northerners, how is your stuff plumbed not to freeze?

Shutting off is not to prevent freezing, it is to prevent flooding after the break.

Critical thinking is dead in this society. The number of people I heard about that couldn't figure out how to light their gas stove because the electricity was out is astounding. Or people throwing food out because the power went off so their fridge quit working, even though it was well below 0 outside.

We normally just drip our faucets to prevent freezing. Works good with 70 degree well water until you lose power. After we lost power I cut my water supply off to the house and tried go drain what I could.

There are lots of people at the hardware store that had their stuff freeze proofed but still broke.

I personally had ‘properly’ wrapped pipes (properly wrapped for us) that still broke. I can assure you as I replumb the broke stuff it will be to a higher level of freeze prevention.

As to throwing food out, all the tv stations are talking about is throwing out ‘bad’ food and how to turn your water off.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)