AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heftys thoughts on banding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmboy0984
Posted 1/20/2019 14:25 (#7258982 - in reply to #7255297)
Subject: RE: Heftys thoughts on banding

Ford County, IL
So you are saying that 400 pounds per acre in a 4 inch wide strip is the same as 400 pounds broadcast in the effect it has on the plants roots? I disagree with you. We have a farm manager that wanted 200 pounds of DAP AND 200 pounds of Potash in the strip. Farm manager was complaining our yields were the worst out of all the ground that he manages. Last year we finally convinced him to let us do what we do on the rest of our ground, which is 100/100 for a total of 200 pounds and this crop (2018) was one of the best we have had in a while. Farm manager said our population was only around 30,000 when we planted 34,000. We came to the conclusion that the 400 pounds of fertilizer in the strip was to much and burnt the roots, killing the plants. Also, we have been stripping our fertilizer for close to 20 years at the 100/100 rate and have yet to see the claimed mining of soils you are all claiming. Actually, we are seeing our levels increasing and yields are anywhere from 200-230 (those have increased as well). Our soil tests are pulled every 3 years and by an independent who does not sell fertilizer. I have never been to a hefty brothers clinic nor do I used there products. Just what I am seeing on my own farms in Ford and Iroquois counties in central Illinois.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)