AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heftys thoughts on banding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jd_4_life
Posted 1/17/2019 08:31 (#7250958 - in reply to #7250634)
Subject: RE: Heftys thoughts on banding

South Dakota

Why would one suggest to NOT broadcast fertilizer on "rented ground", but rather to strip fertilizer?

Well if you went to the clinic, they base the recs on what the crop needs, and by stripping you dont have to add 50% more fert, seems easy enough to understand.

Why would one treat that rented (cash rent or crop share, doesn't matter) farm differently than what you own?

Its just basic fact that rented ground gets treated different in many aspects. Lets say you can do one or the other, but if you own an 80 and rent an 80 which field are you going to tile first? How are you going to explain that to the landlord as well? Also not once did they state to mine that ground that is rented.

What would  you tell the landlord/farm mgr of that farm if he/she asks about your fertilizer intentions?

I would tell them that i plan on fertilizing enough to cover what the crop needs?

What would you tell landlord/farm mgr if they ask why you only strip rented ground, or why you don't broadcast their farm?

Simple, if i spent the money on a strip til machine i would be stripping all my ground, how else you would justify paying for that piece of equipment?

What if you end up renting the same ground for 20+ years, which is not unusual in NE IL (our personal longest is 50+ years)? Of course you didn't know it was going to be 20+ years until the calendar suddenly says 2019.

This is a none issue, if you were at the meeting they stated that if you broadcast you need to apply 50% more fert then if i was banding. So weather i stripped tilled or broadcasted that field i should be able to reach top yields for my goal.

What if the lease stipulates you will put an annual minimum of XXX lbs of potash, for example. Do strippers get to say, "well, that's OK but we will only be applying "1/2 of XXX" because ours is in strip.

I think your missing their point, they are using total lbs (NOT JUST GRAIN REMOVAL) to make their recs. If if rec for product Q is 100 lbs, they are stating to put 100 lbs in a strip or 150 lbs if your going to broadcast.

And if the lease states you need to put XXX lbs out then thats what you have to do right?

If one puts only 1/2 the recommended rate of fertilizer and then grows 200 bu fertilizer for 5 years in a row, should the P & K readings be the same as when starting at the beginning of the 5 years?

Again i think you missed the boat on this one. At no time in that meeting did they state that if the rec calls for 100 lbs that you can run 50 lbs in a strip. They stated multiple times that if the rec calls for 100 lbs you can run that rate in a strip or 150 lbs in a broadcast.

Does anyone else here not find their corn/bean roots growing beyond the 2-4" band?

Obviously you have never heard them talk at a meeting. Which is ok, nothing wrong with it, but find in funny that you come on here and blast them.

Have you heard them talk about applying massive amounts of potash, do you really think they were about to put 1000 lbs of product down in a strip. Nope, they BROADCAST 90% of that. 

I'm  skeptical of this "only 1/2 the fertilizer needed in strips" philosophy.

Again, go to a meeting, not once did they say you could cut 50% fertilizer in a strip, they stated you needed to INCREASE your fertilizer rate by 50% if your going to broadcast.

Edited by jd_4_life 1/17/2019 08:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)