AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heftys thoughts on banding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DobsonAG
Posted 1/17/2019 19:33 (#7252286 - in reply to #7250047)
Subject: RE: Heftys thoughts on banding

Donnellson, IA. Makes saying here easier.
Disclaimer I have never bought a hefty product or have a location close to me anyways. Few thoughts while I laugh at how many can't be opened minded enough to think anything is better than comfort methods or read after someone posted a pic of what the book said. We broadcast on hay, small grains and sometimes our builds to run heavier shots of micros. They said broadcast takes 50% more to equal banded efficiency. That really doesn't sound like cutting anything. And if you have low testing soil you want to rent, broadcast is going to take awhile to build soil especially if the pH was off. As to being worried about other crops not seeing the fertilizer and the band being where the majority of the fertility is located. We just went to 30" beans and use the same line. If in 15" just move the line 15", still two bands of concentrated fertilizer instead of the whole plow layer. And the argument of not having fertilizer everywhere. Apparently some of you have no fertilizer in your stover. Sure seems like your combine should probably be also referred to as a broadcast spreader of stover fertilizer. The constant argument of machine cost being a wash. If a farmer left a system with a ripper and a field finisher or field cultivator or verticle tillage tool. I fail to see the math that shows how one implement then plant is a more costly program. If you are notill then obviously strip till isn't for you. But you could still band nutrients. We have stripped tilled since 2003 and our composite samples show a build in both the row centers and the strips, which have slightly higher K numbers than the whole field composite. Rates for my farm are yield goal recs on actual removal. Just placed where the most root mass is located. And if it's not used it's there for the next crop. The only farms I would ever cut rates on are fields that a nutrient is very high and the balance is off because of it. Too many read hefty and are instantly mad and shut down so no chance of learning anything. I dont think I go to many meetings and believe everything. Or expect what works for them to work for me. But I have no issue looking into it and seeing what points might be worth a try. For all that think they won't like banding and it wont work. I'd suggest just staying right there with what you do. Line management, dual placement machines, and maintenance definitely add some time and headaches. But the accuracy and placement on our small fields and quick ranges no 90' spreader can even come close to comparing. Their talk was the same theme as about every meeting I went to this year. Keep pushing yields. Get leaner on areas that wont hurt yield. And do as much as possible for yourself instead of paying others. All good ideas. Plus I met some very nice farmers and had a good meal. I was jealous they can tile on 60' centers like so many get to do that would really increase our returns. I plan on constantly evaluating what we are doing and maybe someday I will go away from this method. Just see what comes down the pipeline

Edited by DobsonAG 1/17/2019 19:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)