AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heftys thoughts on banding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

timis
Posted 1/17/2019 11:30 (#7251335 - in reply to #7250047)
Subject: RE: Heftys thoughts on banding

Iowa
OK guys its not rocket science here. Banding works, you can cut rates because the higher concentration of fertility in the band. That DOES NOT mean that you are replacing all plant removal, you are simply giving the plant enough to give equivalent yield to a broadcast rate (100%). Your soil test does not account for every ounce of nutrient in the soil, there is always breakdown of organic matter, so that is why a soil test can maintain levels, even when your banding, for a fairly long time.

There was an ISU publication that came out a few years back that talked about soil test levels, and how they should be viewed. In the farming and fertilizer world we like to over simplify things -- if your test is x you need to apply y to get the desired result. The reality is they are making these assumptions based off probability -that variability is caused by environmental factors that influence natural nutrient availability and breakdown. That is exactly how banding works. It is simply feeding the plant enough that there is no yield loss caused by nutrient shortage -- it is relying on nutrient release from OM breakdown and mineralization to fill in the rest, and maintain soil test levels. The testing says that at x rates the probability of having 100% yield potential is very good.

I would ask a couple questions that would probably determine where you fall in this debate:
Does it really make a difference if you're mining the soil you farm vs a potash mine in Canada?
Does your rent agreement allow you to do this?
Are we coming to a point that Uncle Sam will demand fertilizer be reduced, and concentrated? I think we will see it in my lifetime.
Is it unethical to only put on fertilizer to maximize profitability? If so all you guys that put on "just enough to get by" on high testing ground the last couple years are in trouble.

How you answer the questions will dictate how you feel on banding. I personally dont band -- but I only farm family ground, and get a lot of manure. If I was a big farmer I would really look at it. Even running full rates, but concentrating the nutrients would be a good thing. Most guys today have the technology, just not the time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)