AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When to justify discbine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JoshuaGA
Posted 6/23/2014 17:32 (#3933641 - in reply to #3933139)
Subject: There is a fine line between need and want

Sumner GA, Located in southwest GA,
I'll dream to, but short of a lottery win I have to be practical. Hard to pencil out dreams. Just bought a New Holland 1465 last year that was next to new for $8000, and like not to have done that, that hurt my feelings, but I needed another mower and haven't managed to find a good discbine in my price range either, and a haybine can do it all, just a bit slower. I am cutting as much as he is with 2 haybines, getting it down isn't an issue, getting it up is starting to become an issue. Need to look past the shiny paint and look at ROI, unless he has wore that 1495 slam out, might be better off totally rebuilding it, should be able to cut 84 acres in less than 20 hours in all but the worst conditions, judging by my limited experience. If he can only put up 15 acres a day, that is only somewhere around 3.5 hours worth at a time. I can have that much on the ground in 4 hours with my 9' haybine. Now if the money was there, discbine is a no brainer, if just haylage, a $10,000 straight disc cutter would do it all and cheap, don't need much tractor for that, but I would look at what would return the best ROI first. Sounds like every other farmer, has the laundry list of need to replace stuff.

Edited by JoshuaGA 6/23/2014 17:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)